Wednesday, June 24, 2009

WIHTWH: fresh roses



Mohammad tipped me off to the wholesale rose nursery just behind Area 12 where we live. They sell locally and export in season to Holland and Germany.

20 stems: 350MK (about $2.25USD)

We fill the house weekly.






(For a while there, Matilda and I were working on a rose delivery business. It was called HomeRoses. Matilda would deliver bouquets of twenty for a profit of 250 MK for the first bouquet and 50MK for each thereafter. It did pretty well as long as I was drumming up business online, but I think sort of petered out after I handed it over entirely to her. Evidence of what some people call "the digital divide." We made some beautiful bouquets though, supplemented with wildflowers and grasses blooming on the dirt road to the nursery.)



6 comments:

Geo said...

You always find a way make your surroundings more beautiful.

Geo said...

to

Anna said...

i agree with geo. i'd like to develop that talent a little more. wanna come teach me? (you too geo, you've got that same knack, would you come teach me too?)

Liz said...

Those are beautiful! They made me happy just looking at them through the computer screen...they must be even more wonderful in real life.

moiety said...

I'm intrigued by your brief mention of the business with Matilda. Where did you drum up business online from? Ex-pats?

Johanna Buchert Smith said...

What a nice compliment, Geo! It sure makes me want to make it true!

(Annie's right, and I know some of whatever I got rubbed off of you.)

Liz: I never thought I was a rose woman till I came here and they were cheap. :) And then I learned they really can be beautiful, even plain bouquets of red. :)

Mart: Yep, ex-pats and malawians wealthy enough to have internet at home. There's a google group anyone here can join that functions kind of as a Craig's List/community bulletin board/general discussion place. Want to sell your piano? List it on Lilongwe Chat. Looking for a dog? Or trying to start a French-speaking monthly gathering? Or writers circle? Or tell people about a volunteer opportunity? Or see if anyone else has access to that book you need but didn't bring? Try Lilongwe Chat. I mainly sent out emails about HomeRoses on Lilongwe Chat, and on the Babygroup google group. Things move fast, though, so if you're doing your internet at an internet cafe, you've probably missed out... sorry to be so quick--late at night again!