Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Three is a magic number

We prepped for the big day for several weeks.


When I admitted to myself I wouldn't finish making Baby KhaKah a new wardrobe by hand in time, I borrowed a sewing machine from a friend and hired a tailor for the day, who freehanded two dresses, two pants, a skirt, and a matching apron and hat that look suspiciously like an antique uniform. Scout was enraptured.



For little school we made a pinata, one layer every day.


Finally, we picked candy and stuffed it like a turkey.


But oh, disappointment! The morning of the party, Scout crawled into our bed with a fever, then slept the entire day.


Precious, who had been as excited by the preparations and the promise of the candy you get to collect, as I think a seven-year-old can be, had to settle for playing in a bucket of water with the little boys while Scout slept on.


But it did happen the next day, and a couple friends could even make it despite the changes.









Dear Scout, your birthday will also always be my birth day, and I love April 21st for both inseparable reasons. Most of all I love you, my girl, inseparably, beyond reason. ox, Joh

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Happy Happy Birthday Scout! Oh how I wanted to be there when you were born. I am glad to know you my niece!

Hildie said...

Happy birthday to both of you!

Willis Family said...

That pinata turned out so good! That is so creative! Have you received the preschool cd's yet? By the time they get there, it will be time for you to come back home!

Geo said...

Tears of appreciation here, and a view of plenty plenty reasons. You'll never get beyond it. Thanks for sharing this—it's beautiful.

Geo said...

P.S. Doesn't candy usually come OUT that end?

Anna said...

yay! happy birthday! love love love auntie anna.

verification word: unalips

Jamie said...

LOVE this, Joh. I'm glad I am not the only mom who is DEEPLY moved by her children's birthdays. It's always a milestone, for mama and child, and especially the eldest. Addie's birthday is quite the holiday for my mum-in-law AND me, because it's the day I became a mother and Rosalie became a grandmother, a Holy commencement.

Wonderful photos, great gift ideas. I miss you sisterfriend!

Jamie said...

PS: That's my favorite--well, top three anyway--Schoolhouse Rock! I almost put it on Addie's birth announcement with a groovy family photo...