Sunday, February 1, 2009

Of Sleeping Toddlers and Autmoatic Weapons

The President


The Accomplice "Miss Lovely"

The sergeant and I were of similar minds. Two trips around the presidential circle would be quite enough.

Scout often struggles taking a mid-day nap; refuses would be a more exact phrase. And yesterday was no different. Our usual approach is to bring her on an errand with the hopes she falls asleep in the car, a not uncommon trick for many desperate American parents. But by Saturday afternoon, we had run all of our errands. Yet she was recalcitrant, beyond sleep.

We live close to the Malawi President’s mansion. It is at the end of a long beautiful tarmac road without a hint of pothole. In fact it is the nicest road in Malawi. Best of all, the five kilometers is bookended by two round-a-bouts. One takes you into town. The other is a semi-circle directly in front of the President’s gate. You can keep going and going. There is no braking; it really is the perfect sleep road. But yesterday, one loop wasn’t enough for Miss Lovely.

On my second advance to the mansion, I decided I would return home with a completely awake Scout. If sleep couldn’t win after two loops, it never would. She would be victorious yet again. But as I cornered the President’s circle, Scout finally knocked off. Suddenly, three camouflaged bodyguards from the Malawi Defense Force’s Presidential Security Detail stopped me cold with their automatic rifles directed at the tires.

Pointing to the back of the Hilux, I did the universal sign for sleep. The sergeant approached our car and in clipped English started interrogating me about why I had driven to the mansion, not once, but twice. I quickly shssed him, again pointing to the sleeping devil in back. Warm heart of Africa, he was not.

The others’ rifles were now raised to the windshield. I was desperate that the sergeant didn’t wake Scout and contemplated making a run for it when he wouldn’t lower his voice despite my desperate shssing.

When he finally recognized Scout asleep in the back, he raised his voice even louder. I think that for him the bigger offense was, not driving so close to the mansion, but cruising my daughter to sleep in an air-conditioned SUV listening to new age lullabies while living in the 3rd poorest nation on earth during a diesel shortage. What could be more repulsively excessive, base and shelfish?

The standoff continued for about 5 minutes before the sergeant bored of me. Finally, he took my address and sent me home.

They have not come to find us today so I think we are safe. Scout, of course, slept through the whole affair.

8 comments:

Hildie said...

That has got to be one of the best stories ever!

Liz and John said...

We really like Enya for that purpose, not usually our stuff, but Wild Child is Grace's anthem.

Liz and John

Johanna Buchert Smith said...

John (that's you, right?--just went to your linked blog, aw yeah that's you)--Putumayo has some really pretty lullaby compilations. Scout's anthem was "Naïma" by Kidjo on the Putumayo Dreamland cd.

Financial Aid for College said...

I'm the mother of Jennie W. (2 posts up) and had that very trouble while baby-sitting her oldest child overnight 13 years ago. She howled until 2 a.m., and I finally popped her in her infant seat and began the five mile treck up and down University Avenue in Provo, UT.

About the 5th time going north a police car started following me as I traveled about 5 miles per hour. Finally he turned on his "pull over" lights. I did not pull over, but did roll down my window and motion him with my arm to come along side me.

"Is there any trouble, Ma'am?" the extremely young cop called across to my open window.

I leaned out the window and with my loudest whisper replied, "I just got the baby to sleep, and I can't stop or she'll wake up again."

Provo is the baby capital of the United States, so after a long lean and a look into my back seat the officer grinned. "Ahhhh! I completely understand." And he pulled away.

India Jane did stay asleep for the night.

But your story beats mine all hollow! Congrats on your wonderful work in Malawi!

sagebrushandbuttercups said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz and John said...

Johanna,
I just found some of those songs on youtube, Liz and I are going to have to try those out, we are about worn out from our current lullaby portfolio.

Harlene said...

I sneaked on over from Jennie's tribute to you and your parenting style. Love it!~

I work with African Refugees here in UT and I swear their kids sleep through anything and anywhere! They laugh at how I fuss over my brood.

Do you mind new visitors? I'm intrigued by your work and your family's experiences.

Johanna Buchert Smith said...

L.--loved your story, loved your chutzpa, loved that you made the officer pull up beside you!, and love your description on your blogpage--"People either adore me or creep away, horrified."

Jennie, love the name India Jane.

John, just say the word if you want non-sleep kid music suggestions too. Have been keeping a list.

Harlene, welcome!