Friday, January 9, 2009

Mad Skillz


I told Matilda that even though we weren’t willing to give she and Mohammad the big loan they asked for, I would still love to help her in some long term way that would help even after we’ve left. I asked if she could think of anything I might know that she doesn’t that I could teach her. I know she wants to be a police woman, but she has also told me that she has no special skills to use to make money. (She also wondered if I would ask Scout’s Daddy about getting a job cleaning at the hospital when we leave.)

My ideas:

Tutor her in some subject; I know she wants to go back to school to get her highschool certificate. (Her answer, sure, how about math, the one subject she didn’t pass. And shoot, the one subject I probably couldn’t be of any use in.)

Sewing: When I had a borrowed sewing machine, we worked on that for a day, learning how to thread it and wind a bobbin and sew straight lines to make bags. I couldn’t tell if she was sewing because I asked her if she wanted to, or if she really had an interest in learning. (Her answer: that would be good, there’s lots of need in the village for sewing.) However, I don’t actually own a sewing machine here, and you can only borrow for so long.

Driving: Learning to drive would theoretically be helpful, but knowing that alone wouldn’t make her competitive; she doesn’t have a car, and there are lots of experienced drivers looking for work. Also, Mohammad has been paying for lessons on the weekend and at lunch hours hoping to up his chances of us letting him become somewhat of a driver for us, improving his resume and diversifying his skill set and increasing his employability. So he’ll get first dibs on the driving edumacation.

Using a computer: I could teach her to type, use some software, use the internet. But practicing etc, at internet cafes is so expensive, I’m not sure how she’d ever be able to keep doing it. (Her answer: yes, it’s important, because all the jobs for newspapers require that you have experience with computers). This one is at least within reach.

So I’m hoping to pick your brains. Can you think of anything I could teach? I feel stumped. What good is a liberal education?! I/she/we need things we can DO, not just know.

3 comments:

Anna said...

how about infant massage joh? it's not complicated, and it could potentially be really helpful in the hospital (?) i'll try to find online instructions and e-mail them to you. it's basically very light, smooth long strokes on arms and legs. if you want to get technical, you can go with the flow of the lymph or towards the heart, but the really most important thing is that you're starting to teach your baby about setting boundaries for their bodies... before you start the massage, you look for nonverbal cues of interest or dis-interest (eye-contact versus looking away etc.) and you don't massage without permission. is this too american an idea? i just realized this may sound really silly. anyway, the key thing you're trying to teach is respectful communication and boundaries, along with all of the great health benefits for baby that go along with it.

Johanna Buchert Smith said...

Nannou,
infant massage is a great idea as a skill for your own household, but wouldn't be marketable here. I'll post about the hospital soon, but let's just say that when there are only two Malawian pediatricians in the country, whatever funds the hospital has aren't going to massage. (Which maybe just underscores the need for moms to know something like that, since they're the ones taking care of it. But they wouldn't make money at it.) But it's not silly, and I'm glad you suggested it.

rusted sun said...

My idea:
Teach her how to teach, not just to be a school teacher but to be a trainer at a factory or in a health clinic or working for an NGO.

Basic Teaching skills:

Explain
Demonstrate
Practice
Evaluate

She can practice at church, with her family or friends.

Oh...I miss you guys so much. I am so glad to have found a view into your lives!