Monday, January 19, 2009

Little School



This year I’m resolved to making home patterns and schedules. In the afternoons (right after an attempt at Quiet Rest Time—any tips on making this quiet and/or restful appreciated) Scout and I are doing Little School.

It’s a current-generation rip on what my mum did with my older siblings; fun learning stuff at home with toddlers.

It’s taken a bit of ingenuity, as it’s difficult or impossible and expensive to find common art and crafting materials here, but that’s good too. Don’t you always find you come up with some of the best stuff when you have the most limitations? You’re forced to think more creatively.

We started by making books to add to the stash we brought with (and the delightful refill Amy brought at Christmas—thank you!), modeling them on our favourites. (So fun to be making books again!) Since Scout is in love with letters, we started with an alphabet book. She folded and helped cut the papers (scrap, so we wrote around the printing; she didn’t seem to mind) and helped cut a Rice Crispies box into a cover. She helped measure out and cut the string, though I did the two stiches it requires to sew the book together. That was boring for her.

But then we wrote a letter on every page and it was fun again. Next we came up with a word to draw that started with the letter.

Finally, a few weeks later, we went through and hid Waldo on every page.

Inspired by this mention of a book about children’s book illustrators, we also made our own Brown Bear Brown Bear, except it was Black Puppy Black Puppy. And even though it has yet to be bound (this one originated as a sit-still help while eating out—Ethiopian food), she has loved reading it as a bedtime book, maybe more than the original.




Little School starts with a song. It’s all I could think of and not terribly inspired: “Here we are together together together, oh here we are together in our Little School. There’s Scout and mama and mama and Scout”…you get it. But just like our scrap paper and cereal box books, it doesn’t seem to matter much the quality of the material, but that we’re doing something novel and together.

4 comments:

Anna said...

I am so impressed! I want to do little school with you too. Maybe Atira would like to do something like that...

Kamilla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kamilla said...

Sorry about the deleted comment, I have never commented on a blog before.

This is not really related to your blog, but to your contribution to Family Living here in Pocatello. I want to thank you for writing such a beautiful and honest birth story. We have very similar birth stories, only Tracy delivered my baby.

I often find myself wanting to tell people about Midwifes and how fantastic they are, and I love to read about other people who are able to communicate exactly how I feel, you did a great job.

Sharing good birth stories and correcting misconceptions about midwifery will hopefully bring more women to choose a Midwife.

Thanks again! Kamilla

Jamie said...

i love you so much! such a cool mama! school time/ 'snuggle-book-time' has provided my best memories with my kids...it gets even more fun when they read to you! i love being a mom!!!!